Job Offers


Waskahegen Retour à l'accueil

Housing subsidy programs


Housing subsidy programs Corporation Waskahegen and the Société d'Habitation du Québec (SHQ) concerned about the needs of Natives living off-reserves, as regards to housing, offer specific programs addressed to the owner-occupiers in addition to the programs AccèsLogis and Affordable Housing that aim at the construction of new social housing units.

After having set up a special committee in 2002, called « comité terrain », elected to submit an in-depth reform of the programs designed to improve the habitat and whose report was submitted in fall 2004, Corporation Waskahegen and the Alliance autochtone du Québec are still waiting for the willingness of the Quebec Government to answer their request of a new program, better and specific to its Native clientele. For priority reasons, that are not those that we would have hoped for, the Government has chosen instead to bring up an administrative reform, with the objective to submit a reform of its actual programs.


RénoRégion Program (RRP)

The RénoRégion Program wich provides financial assistance for low-income owner-occupiers who live in rural areas, allowing them to carry out the work required to correct major defects in their homes.

Which municipalities are eligible?

The RénoRégion Program applies to all municipalities with a population of less than 15,000 or located in the Gaspésie-îles-de-la-Madeleine region. In municipalities with a population of 15,000 or more, the program applies to areas without municipal water or sewer service.

The program does not apply to the cities of Gatineau and Laval or to the greater Longueuil, Montréal and Québec City areas. Northern villages and Indian reserves are also ineligible.

Who qualifies for the program?

You can take advantage of this program if:

  • You are the owner-occupant of a housing unit located in an eligible area, with one or more major defects;;
  • Your annual household income does not exceed the allowable maximum limit, which varies depending on your region of residence and the size of your household.

Other conditions apply?

The housing unit must be occupied as a primary residence by the owner submitting the application for financial assistance. Note that:

- The building may not have more than two housing units, including that of the owner-occupant;

- The residential portion of a mixed-use building (e.g. ground-floor store with housing unit above) is eligible if it meets the program conditions.

The value of the residence, excluding the land value, must not exceed the maximum set by the municipality or RCM. This value may not exceed $100,000.

Owners who have previously benefited from Québec's RenoVillage or Low-rent Housing programs - Northern Québec component, during the 10 years prior to their application, or from the Emergency Repair Program over the past five years, are not eligible for this program.

In what form is the financial assistance provided?

The RénoRégion Program provides a grant that is paid out once the work is completed.

This grant may cover up to 95 percent of the approved cost for the eligible work, to a maximum of $12,000.

The cost of eligible work is either the lowest bid received, the amount billed by the contractor or that based on the price list in effect for the program, whichever is the lowest.

The amount of the grant is determined by multiplying the approved cost for the eligible work by the percentage of financial assistance to which you are entitled. This percentage varies depending on the difference between your household income and the applicable income level, which is tied to the region where you live and the size of your household.

What work is covered?

The housing unit must need at least $2,000 of work to correct one or more major defects involving at least one of the following components.

  • Exterior walls
  • Openings
  • Overhangs
  • Roofing
  • Structure
  • Electricity
  • Plumbing
  • Heating
  • Thermal insulation

The work must be performed by a contractor holding the appropriate licence from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.

Work must start after approval is received from the Corporation Waskahegen and must be completed within six months of the authorization date.


1. You first must contact the Corporation Waskahegen, as applicable. They will determine your eligibility for the program and indicate the documents you must submit to establish your file.

2. An accredited inspector will then visit the building to draw up a list of the eligible work, which is described in specifications.

3. Based on these specifications, you must obtain one or two bids from contractors holding an appropriate licence from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec, and submit to the Corporation Waskahegen the bid from the contractor who will perform the work.

4. The Corporation Waskahegen will complete your file and if everything is in order, send you a certificate of eligibility indicating the amount to which you will be entitled upon completion of the work, provided all program conditions are met. This document will also authorize the owner to start the work.

5. Once the work has been completed, the accredited inspector will check that it has been performed as per the specifications and will submit a report to the Corporation Waskahegen.  Upon approval of this report, you will be receive the amount to which you are entitled.


Residential Adaptation Assistance Program (RAAP)

The residential adaptation Assistance program ensures that people with a disability are able to enter and exit their home, perform their daily routines, and therefore continue to reside in their own home.

The program applies to people with a permanent disability.

This program provides financial support for the following adaptation work.


All people with disabilities whose limitations affect their everyday activities are eligible for assistance, provided:

- They submit a report from an occupational therapist, demonstrating that their impairment is significant and persistent, and that the disability requires alterations to their home;

- They are not eligible for residential adaptation assistance under the insurance plans offered by the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec or the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail.

Other conditions may apply.

The eligibility of a person with a disability is determined by the occupational therapist assigned to the case.

Available assistance

The financial assistance is remitted to the owner of the residential unit and the amount depends on several criteria, including household income of the person with a disability and whether that person requires the installation of specialized equipment.

It is highly likely that the grant will not cover the total cost of the work and that the owner will have to pay the difference.

Financial assistance may be as much as $16,000 per eligible person. In certain specific cases determined by the Société d'habitation du Québec, an additional amount of up to $7,000 may be paid.

In cases where specialized equipment is required, additional assistance not exceeding $10,000 may also be paid, based on criteria determined by the Société d'habitation du Québec.

Admissible work

The admissible work is determined by the municipal partner based on the terms of the program and the recommendations made by the occupational therapist. This work must meet the needs of the person with a disability.

Work is admissible if:

  • It modifies and adapts the residence of the person with a disability so that person can enter and exit the unit, access essential rooms (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room) without assistance and perform all essential daily routines;
  • It constitutes a simple, functional, low-cost solution;
  • It is permanent in nature.


  • Installation of an outside access ramp
  • Remodelling of a bathroom
  • Widening of door frames

Work performed before authorization is granted by the Corporation Waskahegen or the Société d’habitation du Québec will not receive financial assistance.

Waiting time and processing of applications

The Société d’habitation du Québec entrust to the Corporation Waskahegen with responsibility for managing the Program. The health and social services network is also involved in the production of occupational therapists’ reports.

There is generally a waiting period before a case is taken on by an occupational therapist and the municipal partner. This period may vary between regions.

Cases are processed in several stages spread over several months.


Moving and construction of a home

If a person with a disability is considering moving, any application to the program should be delayed until the person is settled into the new home.

In the case of construction of a home, work admissible under the program is limited. The owner must plan to design the building to ensure accessibility.


Program applications


  • You should obtain a copy of the Program registration form from your local community services centre (CLSC) or from the Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ). Once completed, the form should be sent to the SHQ, along with the necessary supporting documents.
    If you are a tenant, you must first obtain your landlord’s permission for the work to be carried out in your dwelling. The landlord, as the building’s owner, must also complete part of the application form.
  • The SHQ then forwards your application the Corporation Waskahegen and to the health institution responsible for producing the occupational therapist’s report.
  • An accredited inspector will visit your home and draw up a list of admissible work, based on the occupational therapist’s recommendations.
  • The homeowner must obtain one or more bids from contractors holding the appropriate licences from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.
  • The owner must await authorization from the Corporation Waskahegen or SHQ before having the work performed. (Failure to comply with this requirement shall automatically disqualify the work for a grant.)
  • The homeowner will receive the financial assistance once the work has been completed and the Corporation Waskahegen has checked to ensure that it has been carried out as agreed.


The program grants a financial assistance to the 65 years old people and older, with low income, to help them to make minor adaptations to their house or their housing.

If the work is done by a contractor, the amount of the assistant can reach up to 3 500$. If not, only the cost of the materials or the equipment for up to 1 750$ will be considered.


Affordable Housing and AccèsLogis

These programs permit the construction of new residential units for the persons with low to modest income. However, only the municipalities whose rate of inoccupation is lower than 3% are acceptable within this program.

Corporation Waskahegen is presently working at the realization of some projects, mainly in the municipalities meeting the criteria of those programs.


Get additional information for programs by contacting our coordinator:

Patricia Lebeuf
Phone :  (418) 276-7551
Email address:



Home page Profile Job offers Contact us vacant accommodation Premises for rent Sitemap
Tous droits réservés Corporation Waskahegen 2011
Conception web : Grif Grafik